Who We Are
Who Are The Nazarenes?
Every organization that endures over time is based on a deeply shared combination of purpose, belief , and values. So it is with the Church of the Nazarene. It was founded to transform the world by spreading scriptural holiness (Christ-like living). It is both a Great Commission church and a Holiness church at the same time. Our mission is to make Christlike disciples of all nations.
The Church of the Nazarene believes you may discover forgiveness, peace, joy, purpose, love and meaning in life and the promise of heaven when life is over by entering and experiencing a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
We believe that there is a deeper level of life for the Christian in which there is victory over sin, power to witness and serve, and a richer fellowship with God. This happens for the Christian by the sanctifying (purifying) fullness of the Holy Spirit.
Each local congregation of the Church of the Nazarene is a faith community, ready to greet you in Jesus’name. There you will discover opportunities not only to encounter Jesus as your Savior and Lord, but to grow as a follower of Christ. Local churches offer ministry opportunities for serving others. Fellowship, worship, training and education are all part of our life together in Christ. With over 12,000 congregations worldwide, our vision and mission embraces the entire world. We invite you to experience the unique fellowship of your nearby Church of the Nazarene.
What do Nazarenes Believe?
These are the beliefs Nazarenes hold to be true:
- We believe in one God-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
- We believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.
- We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
- We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
- We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.
- We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Church of the Nazarene